Saturday, April 11, 2009

we're 10 days in...

Remember my plan to cook meals? Well we are 10 days in and loving it! It has ranged from everything between enchiladas and spaghetti to broccoli quiche. The next step for me will be learning to make small dishes so we are not stuck eating the same thing for the next 3 days. Which negates the need to make a meal every night but Ry isn't too big on leftovers. If it were just me, I could potentially eat something I like for 5 days straight, which I do when I make chili.
Yesterday it was the quiche and I made it up in the morning while I was hanging around the house, getting ready for the big Easter Sunday dinner at our house. My family is finally releasing the matriarchal reign of control to me for one small afternoon...however they insisted on each bringing a dish still. baby steps. baby steps. Anyways, back to the quiche:

Forgive the wooden spoons hanging out in my crust; there were things that I wanted in one half of the dish that I didn't want in the others and this was the best rigged solution I could come up with. I am sure that Pampered Chef has something specifically for this but it seemed to work just fine and I pulled them out in the last 10 minutes so the top would seal.

I decided to invite my friend Stacie over to enjoy it for lunch with me and realized another side benefit of this meal thing is that it creates community. Maybe that is why there are so many places in the Bible where people fellowshiped with feasts. Makes sense to me! However, I still love the community that somehow takes place over Panera Bread, Starbucks or Olive Garden so I am hoping for a date night tonight!

2 comments:

  1. Quiche recipe, please? And, take it from me, if you decide to make Kelly's (you know who I'm talking about) Artichoke chicken, don't use a full tablespoon of garlic salt--ONLY use a dash:) Love love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was one of those creative feel it out things but I think this is where it ended up:
    -1 cup of chopped veggies (brocolli, green pepper)
    -handful of chopped onion
    -4 eggs
    -1/2 cup of mayo- make sure to whip in so it doesn't end up chunky
    -1 cup of cheese (cheddar, mozarella)
    1/4 cup milk
    -salt, pepper, any fun herbs for flavor
    -crust

    Mix all ingredients- it helps to whip egg, mayo & milk first, then add the rest. Pour in crust. Bake at 350 for 50 min or until golden brown. ENJOY!

    how did you know artichoke chicken was on the list?! garlic seems to be a tough one for me to gauge- bulb vs. clove?

    ReplyDelete