Sunday, September 20, 2009

comings and goings

Finishing up a good weekend including grilling out Friday night with some friends on their deck, a much overdue walk with my sweet friend Allison, a 50th anniversary party for our great Aunt & Uncle and tonight, ooh tonight is definitely the icing on the cake as I am going to go out with some of the senior girls from youth group & my co-leader Leah. McLeah as we used to refer to each other when Grey's first came out because even though neither of us watched it, everything was McBekah and McYouth Group...you get the point. I don't think I have really written about yet that I am back in the youth group scene and I am so totally thrilled to be back.

Taking a step back last year was the right thing for the time being but man, I can't wait to dive back in with these girls. more to come on this as fall unfolds I am sure.

Other than that, I am trying to get back into my habit of cooking dinner...remember when I was planning meals monthly? Well I can't say that I am back at that point post summer meals of campfire food and ice cream and burgers. But I will say that I am attempting to use what I have creatively and here is the latest inspiration:

Rachel Ray's Quesadilla Casserole:

You need:
3 tbsp vegetable oil
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 29 oz. can black beans, drained but save 1/2 cup liquid
1 1/2 cup frozen corn thawed
3-5 flour tortillas (depending on how many layers you want to do)
8 oz Monterrey jack cheese


Preheat the oven to 400
Heat Oil in a skillet at medium heat & add onion and cook for 5 min. Add half of your black beans and mash into a paste and add extra bean juice :)
Grease heavy ovenproof skillet, I used my pie pan!
In a bowl combine corn, any seasonings to add flavor, and remaining beans
Place tortilla in the bottom of your pan, add a layer of your onion/bean mix and a layer of your corn mix, a handful of cheese and repeat
Your top layer will be filling & bake for 30 min.

* Next time I am totally going to add in some shredded chicken or beef because we just love meat. personal preference. I also served it with some salsa and sour cream... would be great at a tailgate party or fall bash with tortilla chips too. mmm..

1 comment:

  1. yummy. I will be making this in the near future. I have a few easy recipes that you might like...I'm talking less than 5 minutes of preparation..we'll talk;)

    ReplyDelete