Saturday, December 19, 2009

Thoughts on Having a Party


The candles are lit, the pie is baking in the oven, the floor still needs to be swept and the junk hidden from the kitchen counter. You all know that chaos that occurs in the precious 45 minutes before a party begins when all of those little “to do’s” need to be done NOW. I have a love/hate relationship with that part of party planning but really more of a love.

We had a dinner party (that sounds so grown up and I love saying it) for our small group at our house Thursday night and I realized how good it felt to entertain. I have taken a break from it in the past 6 months or so and enjoyed every part from choosing the candles and place settings to stacking the dishes and soaking the pans. I truly meant it when people were starting to clean and I told them not to worry about it because I wanted us all to have time to just sit and talk! There was a little post party regret, admittedly when it took me until this morning to get on top of those dishes.

But I still think it was worth it, to have friends around our table laughing and telling stories. And I think entertaining is like anything else, the more you do it, the more at home you feel doing it. I have learned that I enjoy the party a lot more if I make it easy on myself with a simple menu and allowing others to bring things which saves me time in the kitchen and helps with the cost. So I made loaded baked potato soup in my Pampered Chef covered baker which can be done all in the microwave, amazing really. Others brought appetizers (Kelsey's bacon wrapped weenies are to die for), salad and bread and there you have it, a holiday meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment