Monday, October 18, 2010

settling into the season

So I have resolved that it is ok that I am not blogging consistently right now, in fact I have put my writing in general on hold for a little snippet of time. I can't say it is because I have been too busy, more like the opposite that I am simply settling into the season of fall and the rhythm of long walks after work and turning in earlier, mimicking the shorter days. I know it will come back but right now I am just enjoying the quiet evenings without the clicking of the keyboard and savoring the last of the warm nights. However, I should learn to add some pics here and there if I am not blogging regularly. hmm. I will have to work on that.

I have been busy continuing to hole myself up with books and more books, managing to read a 300-400 page book every 10 days or so since we got home from vacation. I think this is a phase but it makes me feel better that I am doing something somewhat productive when I am ignoring chores around the house. I picked up "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett tonight because it was on the library express shelf and I have been looking for it and finding it only on wait lists for month.

I also am finding myself back in the kitchen at times, which always seems to happen this time of year. Quite possibly because comfort food tastes much better when I know I don't have to be in my bathing suit anytime soon. Tonight I made a throw back meal, channeling my childhood and one of my all time favorite recipes that my Mom made for us, spinach quiche.

It's easy and gooey and oh so good. As follows:
-bake a store bought pie crust for 20 minutes until it gets brown
-mix 6 eggs, a little milk, salt, a few drops of Worcestershire sauce (secret key)
-layer a package of defrosted & drained chopped spinach with 6 or 7 slices of swiss cheese and pour egg mix over the top.
-Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until it sets & the top is brown

*here is the ticket- let it sit for 10 minutes or so and it will become a layered pie of cheesy goodness (including a little veggie serving or two for the day with the spinach in there).

I can happily say that Ryan LOVED it as well and between dinner tonight and our lunches tomorrow, we will have that whole pie finished off. Whoops. I may have just found a new staple in our house.

As far as Ryan goes, his fall has picked up which also may be contributing to my intense homebody tendencies, trying to balance out this full season for him and he is weeks away from finishing his degree. Which is amazing and so exciting to me since we first began this new season of student life back in the summer of 2009. I'm so proud of him, how hard he works to do good in his classes, be available to others and still have so much energy left to love me. I can't say I would be able to walk that road as well as he has and bless God that he is loving what he is learning in everyday life. He got to teach last night at our church and is blogging about it here.

so for now, that's all. a little update on my quiet corner of the world. And so you aren't complete worried about me becoming a house dweller, locking myself away for weeks and living on the pages of my books; I have also been to a hockey game, a handful of coffee dates, a new Mediterranean restaurant in Grand Rapids with friends, two showers and lots of youth group events in the past 3 weeks. Just choosing to reflect on the low key moments that I am loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment