Friday, August 7, 2009

remembering why I love it

I think I had forgotten why I liked running, fallen out of love with it of sorts. It wasn't always a love/hate relationship; certainly something that I have had seasons with but for the last 2 years it has been a very strong passion and push. Until mid-May when I ran my first 25k, the big dog, the race I have hoped to run since I was 15.

After that day, I kind of hit a wall with running. It became something I should do, rather than something that gave me life in doing. So I took baby steps back, flirting with it and then finally giving it it's proper "dear john" and giving up my place in the half-marathon we do every fall.

But this morning, something unique happened as I ran through the Chicago streets of Emily & Dennis' neighborhood. I remembered why I loved it, before the training charts and the stopwatches, the timing my miles and thinking about paces. For a few miles I floated down the sidewalks, watching traffic and other pedestrians, in my happy place. And remembered why I love running and hope to keep it that way.

2 comments:

  1. You're adorable! Glad it was fun... love the new look, again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I am already starting to feel those things, and I am just training for my first race. That's pretty bad. It hit me this past weekend when I ran 8 miles on the treadmill. Blech. I hate the treadmill. And it was all because an 8 mile run was on my training schedule for that weekend, and I was in Florida on vacation, and had no other way to "log the miles." I think I may take a break even after my first race...just to regain my CHOICE to run. I think then I will regain my love for it as well.

    ReplyDelete